3.11.2008

Saying Goodbye to "The Wire"


Color of emotion: Blue

It's over. Really over. The world's affair with HBO's beloved The Wire is gone after five seasons. I'm still not sure what to say about the whole thing. I can say that "The Wire" is one of my all-time favorite shows -- EVER!! No matter how good or bad the situation, it always captured my undivided attention. People who know me well knew not to call me on Sunday nights from 8pm to 9pm. Man, I'm gonna miss this show!

What I loved most about The Wire is that it kept everything real. Not that I know exactly how things are in Baltimore or the drug game. I kept wishing, hoping and praying for characters like Dukie and Michael to find a way out of the lives they were living, yet it only got worse. It hurt like hell to see Dukie taking a needle to his arm, while Michael became the next Omar, but I suppose that's how life is. And the saddest thing about it is that many people in this country have no idea that there are people -- adults and children -- who live like that.

The series finale seemed a bit rushed to me, but it was still a great one. I was happy, sad and pissed off throughout the whole episode. Happy to see that Bubbles finally earned his way out of his sister's basement; Sad about Dukie; Pissed off that Scott Templeton got a fucking Pulitzer and Alma was transferred for ratting him out! I don't think Marlo can take being a businessman. He'll be in the streets one way or another. THANK YOU SLIM CHARLES, for finally doing Cheese!!

My emotions are still running rampant and I know I'm forgetting something, but I'll just sign off right now.

No comments: